Thursday, September 16, 2010

Jesus: The Way

Here's another lazy post where I just copy and paste my notes on certain Bible passages!

Let not your hearts be troubled. Believe in God; believe also in me. In my Father's house are many rooms. If it were not so, would I have told you that I go to prepare a place for you? And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and will take you to myself, that where I am you may be also. And you know the way to where I am going.” Thomas said to him, “Lord, we do not know where you are going. How can we know the way?” Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. If you had known me, you would have known my Father also. From now on you do know him and have seen him.” John 14:1-7

Jesus makes some very profound and exclusive statements here. He says "Believe in God; believe also in me." This again shows Jesus Christ's equality with the Father (v. 7, John 10:30). He also makes the most unequivocal statement of his exclusivity. "I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me." Jesus is "the way" because by believing in Him, a person will receive eternal life. In other words, Jesus is "the way" to Heaven. He's the truth because He is God, and God can't lie (Hebrews 6:18). Jesus is truth embodied, and all who are on the side of truth listen to Him and do as he says (John 18:37). He is "the life" because He is the source of all life (Acts 17:25) and He is the way to eternal life (John 3:15).

No comments:

Post a Comment