Sunday, December 5, 2010

I've had an interesting relationship with Christian apologetics in the last couple of years. I began with The Reason for God by Timothy Keller, went on to stuff like The Case for Christ by Lee Strobel and Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis and so on, and they were able to satisfy me intellectually at the time, but I'm ready to move on to bigger things. I'm ready to read more academic stuff that's actually discussed among scholars (which I have been), not the layman apologetics books you see on church shelves. I'm ready to read more stuff by nonbelievers so I can understand them and avoid misrepresenting them. Not that I have a problem with books like the ones I mentioned. They all helped me get started on this intellectual journey of mine. They helped me see that Christianity is something that I can think about and not just "have faith" blindly. They helped me see that I could defend my position and argue against opposing viewpoints. For that I am thankful to them. I'm going to start my major in philosophy next semester and I can't wait. It'll be a challenge, but I'll pull through.

I'm now reading Aristotle's Rhetoric and recently ordered David Hume's An Inquiry Concerning Human Understanding.

No comments:

Post a Comment