Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Glorifying God With My Mind

Reading books like Love Your God With All Your Mind and listening to Christian intellectuals like Ravi Zacharias really humbles me. I want to believe in Christ not only because I feel it's true, but because I think it's reasonable. That is why I constantly read books and listen to philosophers and historians. It can still be quite daunting though. The more I learn, the more I realize I don't know very much. One thing I struggle with is that I learn a lot, but I don't ever get to use that knowledge when talking to skeptics. It can be a bit intimidating discussing what I believe with a person who holds contrary views, and I fear humiliation at not being able to properly defend my conviction, which would therefore make belief in Jesus seem unreasonable to him. However, it is good to discuss these kinds of things with people. It can help develop ones logic, speaking, and thinking skills. If I end up not having an answer to something the other person it questioning, it gives me a stronger hunger to learn more about it. Jesus didn't hide himself in a classroom all his life. He went out into the culture and confronted skeptics themselves. I pray that God gives me plenty of opportunities in life to gently and lovingly teach the Gospel to skeptics and that He gives me the wisdom to answer their questions.

No comments:

Post a Comment