Friday, July 17, 2009

Luke chapter 18

I seem to be on a blogging frenzy today! I'm no C.S. Lewis, but I'll do my best to write my thoughts on some more verses today. Right now I just want to look at a specific one in Luke chapter 18.

One of the great things about Jesus is his ability to communicate. He often answered questions with another question. Asking questions forces the people talking to you to think about what they're saying and what they believe. These days people will say that Jesus was a "good man, but not God." Apparently this isn't anything new. This man seems to have thought the same.

A certain ruler asked him, "Good teacher, what must I do to inherit eternal life?" Luke 18:18

You'd think Jesus would just tell him. Seems simple enough. But instead he asks him a question...

"Why do you call me good?" Jesus answered.

Huh...... This must have caught the man off guard. He's undoubtably pondering why he calls Him that now. Jesus then continues....

"No one is good - except God alone...." Luke 18:19

Interesting. So no one is good except God. Well, if Jesus is good like this man just called Him, and only God is good, then it logically follows that Jesus must be God. I wonder if the man caught that...

No comments:

Post a Comment