Tuesday, September 15, 2009

"They Will All Know Me"

"This is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel
after that time," declares the Lord.
"I will put my laws in their minds.
and write it on their hearts.
I will be their God,
and they will be my people.
No longer will a man teach his neighbor,
or a man his brother, saying, 'Know the Lord,'
because they will all know me,
from the least of them to the greatest,"
declares the Lord.
"For I will forgive their wickedness
and will remember their sins no more.
Jeremiah 31:33-34

There are undoubtably many differences between Protestant, Orthodox, and Catholic theology. It can be unsettling to see that different interpretations can be taken out of the same written Revelation from God (though not all are accepted as valid). But like God says, "No longer will a man teach his neighbor, or a man his brother, saying, 'Know the Lord,' because they will all know me, from the least of them to the greatest..." It seems that on this side of Heaven we won't be absolutely sure and we'll draw different conclusions from the same book/event/etc., but for those who trust in Christ Jesus, God promises us eternal life with Him in the new Heavens and new Earth. When we are there, when we are with the living God, we will all know Him. There will not be this abstract theology, there will not be these disagreements, there will be God and there will be his children. May we persevere until that day.

No comments:

Post a Comment