Wednesday, August 26, 2009

False Hope

This is inspired by the speech Ryan gave yesterday at Veritas.

Humans always put their hope in something or someone. It's natural to us. What is also common is disappointment. Most of the time what we hope for opens a door of opportunity for us then it quickly gets slammed shut right in our face. I often times hope for a fun night of hanging out and socializing, then suddenly my work schedule changes and I have to miss it. I always hope for a sense of belonging in the community I'm in, but so often I feel utterly alone and ignored. During the Summer I had the opportunity to go to Houston to see my mother. It was a good chance to see some family I haven't seen in a while and my only chance for a vacation that Summer. However, once I got to the airport the door of opportunity quickly slammed shut as they told me that I couldn't go because it turned out the ticket wasn't under my name. My mother was very upset that she wouldn't get to see her favorite son for who knows how long now. After that I felt stupid for ever thinking that something like that would actually happen. Vacations and fun stuff only happen to other people, not to you, Kyle. Now, these are really small hopes that don't affect life as a whole, but if I can't even have hope in these small things, it makes it much harder to have hope for something infinitely bigger like the Resurrection or Heaven. I often times hear people say that they just think about a certain verse in the Bible and it comforts them and makes them feel better. It's not the same with me, but that doesn't mean I don't believe the promises that it makes. I'm reminded of this well known verse:

And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.
Romans 8:28

Also, C.S. Lewis has a terrific insight that I also believe.

"Creatures are not born with desires unless satisfaction for those desires exist. A baby feels hunger: well, there is such a thing as food. A duckling wants to swim: well, there is such a thing as water. Men feel sexual desire: well, there is such a thing as sex. If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world."

I pray that God returns and restores the world. I pray for all the wicked to get punished, for all the suffering to end, for sin to disappear, and for everyone to know and acknowledge that God is our Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment