Thursday, August 27, 2009

Wisdom and Doubt

If any of you lacks wisdom, you should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to you. But when you ask, you must believe and not doubt, because the one who doubts is like a wave of the sea, blown and tossed by the wind. Those who doubt should not think they will receive anything form the Lord; they are double-minded and unstable in all they do.
James 1:5-8

These verses fill me with much joy, but also scare me. I love wisdom. I love learning about God's Word, about Jesus, and how His Truth corresponds to reality, whether historically, scientifically, or philosophically. It's wonderful that I can ask God for wisdom and He gladly gives it! However, I'm kind of a doubter. When I pray to the Lord for some kind of sanctification to my heart and mind, I feel this inexorable doubt creeping in my mind. Uh oh! Now I'm afraid that this doubt is going to keep God from giving me wisdom! What do I do?!......... I have no idea. I usually end my posts with some kind of hope or solution or pointer to a solution, but I'm a little perplexed this time. Perhaps this just shows the impatience in my heart. God does everything in His timing, not Kyle's timing. I've only been a Christian for about a year, I can't expect to perfectly image Christ in about a year. God doesn't work that way (though He could if He wanted). So I will be patient and keep praying. I will keep knocking on God's door and seeking Him. Jesus gives us this wonderful analogy to illustrate this.

"Suppose you have a friend, and you go to him at midnight and say, 'Friend, lend me three loaves of bread; a friend of mine on a journey has come to me, and I have nothing to set before him.' And suppose the one inside answers, 'Don't bother me. The door is already locked, and my children and I are in bed. I can't get up and give you anything.' I tell you, even though he will not get up and give you the bread because of friendship, yet because of your shameless audacity he will surely get up and give you as much as you need.
"So I say to you: Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives; those who seek find; and to those who knock, the door will be opened."
Luke 11:5-10

No comments:

Post a Comment